Logistics Management and Information System (LMIS)
Uninterrupted supply of antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) for treatment of HIV/AIDS is a pre-requisite and a challenge for ART programs. With the increasing number of people on treatment, supply chains need to expand, which can be sustained only if they are fully accountable for their actions.
Designing an effective and sustainable supply chain system for drugs and other commodities is important and can be complex. A correctly run distribution system should also keep drugs in good condition, rationalize drug storage points, use transport as efficiently as possible, reduce theft and fraud and provide information for forecasting needs. This requires a good management of the system along with a simple but well-designed information system in place.
A number of AMDS partners have considerable expertise on setting up and managing a functioning supply chain system, and on this page are links to the relevant part of their web sites. There many guidelines and tools publicly available from AMDS partners.
WHO/AMDS, the GFATM and their partners are conducting a series of workshops to provide countries with technical knowledge and skills in various areas of the procurement and supply management (PSM) cycle, and to give them opportunities for exchange of experiences in PSM implementation bottlenecks and trouble shooting (2007 training by AMDS partners).
Technical guides and tools
- a. Guidelines for managing the HIV/AIDS supply chain (USAID | DELIVER)
- b. Logistics System Assessment Tool (USAID | DELIVER)
- c. Logistics Indicators Assessment Tool (USAID | DELIVER)
- d. Improving Drug Management in Decentralized Health Systems: The Monitoring-Training-Planning Guide for Program Implementation (MSH)
- e. Assessment Tool for Laboratory Services 2006 (ATLAS, USAID | DELIVER)
- f-1. National HIV/AIDS Programs. A Handbook on Supply Chain Management for HIV/AIDS Medical Commodities (English) World Bank, March 2005
- f-2. National HIV/AIDS Programs. A Handbook on Supply Chain Management for HIV/AIDS Medical Commodities (French) World Bank, March 2005
- g. Supply chain manager ver. 3.0 (USAID | DELIVER)
Evaluation of ARV Procurement and Supply Management Systems in West and Central Africa
Evaluation des systèmes de gestion des achats et des stocks de médicaments antirétroviraux en Afrique de l’Ouest et du Centre
Kenya: Assessment of the health commodity supply chains and KEMSA (DELIVER/John Snow Inc.)
Nigeria: Assessment of the transportation system and distribution costs for family planning commodities (DELIVER/John Snow Inc.)
- a. USAID | DELIVER
- b. Logistics Management Institute
- c. Management Sciences for Health/RPM Plus
- d. 2007 training by AMDS partners