WHO at the 2009 HIV/AIDS implementers' meeting
Windhoek, Namibia | 10-14 June 2009
Optimizing the response: partnerships for sustainability
Organized by the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the HIV/AIDS implementers’ meeting gathers together programme implementers to share best practices and lessons learned in the fight against global AIDS. It is the only meeting of its kind focused specifically on implementation.
The objectives of the 2009 HIV/AIDS implementers’ meeting are to:
- Widely disseminate, in real time, best practices and lessons learned during the implementation of multi-sectoral HIV/AIDS programmes with a focus on:
- Optimizing the impact of prevention, care and treatment programmes
- Enhancing programme quality
- Promoting coordination among partners
- Encouraging innovative responses
- Catalyze an open dialogue about future directions of HIV/AIDS programmes with a strong emphasis on implementation
- Directly impact HIV/AIDS programme implementation in the upcoming year with the goal of building a sustainable response
14 June - Read the closing press release
- 14 June - Read the presentation of the rapporteur session - Evolving challenges in treatment, laboratory, care and support services by Marco Vitoria, HIV/AIDS Department, World Health Organization
- 10 June - Watch a video of WHO HIV/AIDS Department Director Dr. Kevin M. De Cock's address
- 10 June - Read WHO HIV/AIDS Department Director Dr. Kevin M. De Cock's address
10 June - Read the opening press release
- Visit the event website
On behalf of The Center for Global Health Policy, former Boston Globe reporter John Donnelly covered the 2009 HIV/AIDS implementers’ meeting in Namibia through a live blog from 11 - 13 June. Blog entries are available at: http://sciencespeaks.wordpress.com/category/hiv_conference/.
- Read John Donnelly's interview with WHO HIV/AIDS Department Director Dr. Kevin M. De Cock
- Read the blog entry `We are entering perilous ethical waters’, featuring a review of WHO HIV/AIDS Department Director Kevin M. De Cock's address
- Read the blog entry `The slow uptake for male circumcision’, featuring Dr Kim Dickson of the WHO HIV/AIDS Department
- Read the blog entry 'A TB/HIV doctor’s anguish'