Report of the consultation on the treatment of HIV among adolescents
Meeting report - 22-23 September 2014
Château de Penthes, Geneva, Switzerland
Outcome 2: other priority areas to include as adolescent considerations or good practice
Clinical (see annex 3)
- Address mental health issues for adolescents through inclusion in the package of care.
- Include primary HPV vaccinations, pneumococcal vaccination and hepatitis B booster into the package of care.
- Further emphasize intensified TB case-finding among adolescents.
- Further address the management of toxicity and its impact on adherence.
- Highlight the complexities of unplanned treatment interruptions.
Service delivery (see annex 4)
- Define the package of care for younger (10 -14 years) and older (15 -19 years) adolescents at various levels of service.
- Further emphasize existing guidance on disclosure with more focus on helping adolescents to disclose to others.
- Addressing adherence assessment, treatment literacy and counselling/ support through highlighting adolescent-specific key principles.
- Highlight challenges of transition by expanding definitions and defining key principles
- Emphasize current guidance on training and elaborate upon competency frameworks.
- Highlight principles of family-centred care, particularly for young adolescents.