HIV drug resistance transmission threshold survey in Bangkok, Thailand
Antiviral Therapy Volume 13, 2008; Supplement 2: 108–113
In 2004, Thailand had a population of 64 million. Of this number, 580,000 were estimated to be living with HIV/AIDS by 2006 and an equal number of Thais have already died since the HIV epidemic began in 1984/5. HIV in Thailand was initially identified in men having sex with men (MSM), then in intravenous drug users (IDU), female sex workers, their clients and, finally, in housewives and newborns. This represents a well-known epidemic pattern reported in many countries. Antiretroviral therapy (ART) started in Thailand around 1988 when the first antiretroviral (ARV), zidovudine (ZDV), was registered in Thailand. From 1988 to 1994 less than 2,000 patients in the large cities, including Bangkok, were treated out of their own financial resources. From 1994 onwards, the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) of Thailand began to provide free ART and had treated 10,000 patients by 2003, this number increased to 50,000 by 2004. Of the 580,000 people living with HIV/AIDS in Thailand by 2006, it is estimated that a total of 100,000 patients are being treated with ART. Of these, 80% receive ART from the MOPH universal coverage programme; the remaining 20% buy their own ARV treatment. An estimated 40% of those who are in need of ART are currently treated.
Co-produced with the International Medical Press.
© 2008 International Medical Press. Reproduced with permission.