7.2 What ART regimen to start with (first-line ART)
Consolidated ARV guidelines, June 2013
Using simplified, less toxic and more convenient regimens as fixed-dose combinations is recommended for first-line ART. Once-daily regimens comprising a non-thymidine NRTI backbone (TDF + FTC or TDF + 3TC) and one NNRTI (EFV) are maintained as the preferred choices in adults, adolescents and children older than three years. For children younger than three years, a PI-based regimen is the preferred approach (Table 7.5).
- 7.2.1 First-line ART for adults
- 7.2.2 First-line ART for pregnant and breastfeeding women and ARV drugs for their infants
- 7.2.3 First-line ART for children younger than three years of age
- 7.2.4 First-line ART for children three years and older (including adolescents)
- 7.2.5 T B co-treatment in children with HIV