Box 8.1: Summary of recommendations for key actions for infection control (3)
Consolidated ARV guidelines, June 2013
Administrative (facility-level infection control committee and protocols)
- A triage system to identify people suspected of having TB
- Separate people with suspected or confirmed TB
- Cough etiquette and respiratory hygiene
- Rapid diagnosis with Xpert MTB/RIF (with prompt treatment of active TB) (strong recommendation, low-quality evidence).
Health workers and carers
- Surveillance and information
- Package of care for HIV-positive workers (ART and isoniazid preventive therapy)
- Protective equipment (particulate respirator masks that meet or exceed N95 standards)
- Relocation for health care workers living with HIV to a lower-risk area (strong recommendation, high-quality evidence).
- Ventilation (mechanical)
- Ventilation (natural)
- Upper-room ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (strong recommendation, low-quality evidence).
- Spend as much time as possible outside
- Cough etiquette
- Sleep alone while smear-positive
- Avoid congregate settings and public transport while smear-positive (strong recommendation, low-quality evidence).