Framework for metrics to support effective treatment as prevention
Meeting report (2-3 April 2012, Geneva, Switzerland)
WHO convened an initial meeting among experts in the field to develop a framework for TasP (treatment as prevention) metrics, including an assessment of the status of indicators and methods of measurement that will help to track the effectiveness of TasP at both the national and global levels. The TasP metrics framework addresses the following key areas:
- The programmatic context in which TasP is implemented and the implications for developing metrics.
- A logical framework for guiding impact evaluation of TasP, including discussion of the different options proposed for indicators at different levels.
- Monitoring systems for early identification of problems to mitigate the adverse events and unintended consequences of TasP.
- The use and availability of mathematical models as tools for guiding policy-makers and evaluating the impact of TasP.
- Tools to assess country readiness for employing TasP metrics and approaches for strengthening M&E systems.