WHO International Scheme to Evaluate Household Water Treatment Technologies
List of Products and Disclaimers
All evaluated products that have been found to meet one of the WHO recommended performance levels are listed below. It is important to note that in order to realize the health gains of HWT, technologies should not only be found to meet the WHO recommended criteria, but also be correctly and consistently used.
List of Products that have been found to meet one the three WHO recommended performance levels (“highly protective”, “protective” and “limited protection”)
The first round of testing will take place in 2014 and results will be posted later in 2014.
The following notes and disclaimers accompany the list:
• This list is intended to guide WHO Member States and procuring UN Agencies in the selection of HWT.
• Inclusion in the list does not imply any approval by WHO of the products in question (which is the sole prerogative of national authorities).
• The list reflects the performance level which a product was found to meet at the time of testing.
• WHO cannot represent that the listed products will continue to meet the stated performance levels. WHO may suspend or remove products from the list based on information that may subsequently become available to it.
• The list is not an exhaustive list of HWT products but reflects those products that have been submitted to WHO for testing as part of the WHO International Scheme to Evaluate HWT. This list is updated regularly. HWT products (as identified in Invitations for Expressions of Interest (EOI) issued by WHO) are added to the list as and when (following the voluntary participation of relevant applicants in response to an Invitation for EOI) such products are tested pursuant to the HWT Evaluation Procedure and found to meet one of the WHO recommended performance levels.
• The fact that certain products and suppliers are not included in the list does not mean that if evaluated and tested, they would not be found to meet one of the three performance levels recommended by WHO.
• The list may not be used by manufacturers, suppliers or any other parties for commercial or promotional purposes.
• Inclusion of a product in the list and its indicated level of performance does not constitute an endorsement, or warranty of the fitness, by WHO of the product for a particular purpose, including in regard to its safety and/or efficacy in the treatment of water.
• WHO does not furthermore warrant or represent that:
a. the list is complete or error free; and/or that
b. the products listed have obtained regulatory approval for use in the treatment of water in every country of the world, or that their use is otherwise in accordance with the national laws and regulations of any country, including but not limited to patent laws.
• The improper handling of products may affect their level of performance.
• WHO disclaims any and all liability and responsibility for any injury, death, loss, damage or other prejudice of any kind whatsoever that may arise as a result of or in connection with the procurement, distribution and use of any product included in the list.
• Any WHO Member State or UN organization intending to use this list of HWT products for procurement should perform other aspects of qualification prior to purchasing, such as ensuring financial stability and standing of the supplier, ability to supply the required quantities and other related aspects, including the registration status of the products they wish to procure.
• This list does not constitute any guarantee for the procurement of the products from the suppliers mentioned.