Building an international consensus
Regional and country workshops:
The purpose of the IHR workshops is to update the Member States on the revision process and changes proposed, and, most importantly, to stimulate critical comments and feedback on both the existing regulations and the revision proposals.
The workshops were conducted in the following venues throughout 2002:
- Lima, Peru, 5-6 March 2002, Andean countries (Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela, Columbia, Chile, Equador)
- Buenos Aires, Argentina, 30-31 May 2002, Mercosur countries (Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay)
- Portoroz, Slovenia, CCEE-Baltic States Communicable Disease Network, 20-22 June 2002
- Bangkok, Thailand, 22-23 July 2002
- Oslo, Norway, 13-14 August 2002, Baltic States, Russia, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Finland
- St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 5-6 September 2002
- Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 17-19 September 2002
- Colombo, Sri Lanka, 4-6 October 2002
- Agra, India, 14-15 November 2002
- Zambia, 3-5 December 2002
- Philippines, 9-10 December 2002
- Senegal, 17-19 December 2002
- Morocco, 13 - 14 January 2003
Inter-regional EURO/EMRO Mediterranean basin workshop, Rome, Italy, 20-21 January 2003
Included 12 Mediterranean basin countries.
IHR meetings 2002:
In-country meetings have been in held with the following Member States which have expressed a keen interest in participating in the IHR revision process: Australia, Canada, China, France, Japan, Morocco, Senegal, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zambia.
In-Geneva: Russian Federation, Turkey, European Commission, DG SANCO.
Collaboration with international agencies and organizations:
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), International Air Transport Association (IATA), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), World Trade Organization (WTO), International Maritime Organization (IMO).
The revision proposals have been presented at the following international meetings:
American Bar Association study tour, Geneva, Switzerland, 01/02; Pacific Public Health Surveillance Network, Epinet Workshop, Noumea, New Caledonia, 03/02; International Conference on Travel Medicine, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 04/02; 3rd European Conference on Travel Medicine, Florence, Italy, 05/02; Committee of the Network for the Epidemiological Surveillance and Control of Communicable Diseases in the European Community, Luxembourg, 06/02; Norwegian civil servants' visit to WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 06/02; IATA Cabin Health Conference, Geneva, Switzerland, 06/02; 4th Meeting of Caribbean National Epidemiologists & Laboratory Directors, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, 07/02; Inter-country Consultation on Development of a Regional Strategy for Integrated Disease Surveillance, Yangon, Myanmar, 09/02; 4th Asia Pacific Travel Health Conference, Shanghai, China, 10/02.