Antimicrobial resistance (drug resistance)
Main competency to be acquired
- identify the need and use for antimicrobial susceptibility testing;
- interpret antimicrobial resistance results.
Specific learning objectives
- identify the need for anti-microbial susceptibility testing according to:
- prevalence of antimicrobial resistance;
- antibiotics selected;
- enquiries on antibiotic resistance patterns;
- development of laboratory-based surveillance systems for antibiotic resistance.
- think critically when interpreting antibiotic resistance results based on:
- quality assurance levels of the laboratory;
- methods used.