Main competency to be acquired
Identify key laboratory methods relevant to selected syndromes and/or suspected pathogens.
Specific learning objectives
- understand how key microbiological methods work;
- understand the pros and cons of each microbiological method;
- review the principles of immunology that are required to understand laboratory methods;
- understand how epidemiologists can make use of various microbiological techniques.
- consider, according to the context:
- limited time frame for antigen/pathogen detection;
- time-lag for antibody detection (detection window);
- consider, for each method:
- time-lag to obtain results;
- qualification needs;