An integrated approach to health information systems in Guatemala
Benefits to the country and region
We anticipate this project will provide many benefits to Guatemala and the surrounding region, including:
- Digitization of immunization records, enabling better immunization coverage estimates and access to children’s immunization status.
- Daily record keeping that will facilitate a more sensitive surveillance system and improved ability to detect outbreaks through rapid alerts.
- Reduced administrative burden for health staff, allowing for provision of additional services to the community.
- An innovative health information system that can serve as an example for other countries in Latin America and the world.
- Documentation of lessons learned that can be helpful to other countries in Latin America and the world.
In addition to piloting a new computerized health system for the country, project Optimize will work with Guatemala to assess the conditions necessary to the scale-up of this intervention to enhance the country’s immunization supply system in the long run. Guatemala’s experience with the new system will be useful to other countries in the region that are offering new vaccines and moving toward computerized health information systems.