Immunization and vaccines related implementation research advisory committee (IVIR-AC)
Roles of IVIR members
Members of IVIR-AC have a responsibility to provide WHO with high quality, well considered advice and recommendations on matters described in the IVIR-AC terms of reference. In all cases, the work of IVIR-AC and its working groups should strive to improve WHO/IVB's ability to support implementation research related to vaccines and immunization programs, as well as continue to provide guidance to IVB on quantitative methods useful to vaccines research as used to be done through QUIVER.
This requires that IVIR-AC as a whole and IVIR-AC members individually work hand-in-hand with the WHO secretariat. IVIR-AC members are expected to review background documents and circulate presentations prior to meetings, and to make themselves available for pre-meeting teleconferences. In addition to working collaboratively with other members of IVIR-AC, members will be expected to actively engage in IVIR-AC working groups along with specific topic experts and WHO staff, as appropriate.
The Committee has no executive or regulatory function. Its role is solely to provide advice and recommendations to Director, IVB and includes providing advice and recommendations on urgent matters as needed.
Role of the WHO Secretariat
WHO staff members designated by the Director IVB will form the IVIR-AC Secretariat. The main role of the secretariat is to provide technical and administrative support to IVIR-AC chair and members so that IVIR-AC functions smoothly and delivers effectively on its ToRs.
The secretariat will perform the following main tasks:
- planning IVIR-AC meetings: including agenda formulation, travel and accommodation for members and non-members, and the invitation of topic experts to specific meetings;
- assisting in the formulation and functioning of the working groups;
- assisting with preparing the meeting minutes and reports;
- providing IVIR-AC members with the background/support materials, trainings (as appropriate);
- maintaining an IVIR-AC website for sharing IVIR-AC meeting reports, agenda and key recommendations with the broader immunization community;
- linking IVIR-AC members to the WHO staff in HQ, regions and country offices and partners, as appropriate;
- facilitating the dissemination and use of recommendations made by IVIR-AC and approved by the Director, IVB;
- commissioning further studies, on implementation research if recommended by IVIR-AC and approved by the Director, IVB.