Vaccine Management and Logistics
Vaccine stock management
A sound vaccine stock management system should encompass the following:
- Ensure that vaccines received are of assured quality by meeting the norms specified by the National Regulatory Authority or WHO;
- Ensure the availability of adequate quantities of relevant immunization-related supplies (diluents, syringes and needles, wicks and kerosene for refrigerators, etc.) to guarantee safe administration;
- Avoid stock-outs to ensure uninterrupted implementation of immunization activities;
- Maintain proper handling and storage conditions to avoid overstocking and/or unnecessary expiration of materials before utilization;
- Ensure adequate cold store capacity for vaccines (sufficient storage capacity at recommended storage temperatures) and adequate dry store capacity for injection supplies.