National regulatory authorities
The assessment, licensure, control, and surveillance of biological medicinal products are major challenges for national regulatory authorities confronted by a steadily increasing number of novel products, complex quality concerns, and new technical issues arising from rapid scientific advances. With the emerging global market the volume of biological medicinal products crossing national borders continues to rise, and it has become critical that regulatory knowledge and experience concerning them can be shared, and approaches to their control harmonized to the greatest extent possible.
Through its consultative approach, WHO identifies and consolidates current consensus opinions on key regulatory issues, and communicates them to national authorities and manufacturers through guidance documents addressing both general issues and specific products. Through this mechanism, national regulatory authorities are informed on the scientific background needed to assess critical issues, and are advised on which regulatory approaches and methodologies have been found to be optimal for insuring the global supply of uniformly high, quality, and efficacious biological medicinal products.
selected examples of guidance documentation to regulalatory authorities:
Technical Report Series 878, Annex 1
Technical Report Series 822, Annex 1
Technical Report Series 822, Annex 2
Technical Report Series 858, Annex 1
Technical Report Series 926, Annex 4
- Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies in reglation to biological and pharmaceutical products, guidelines
Technical Report Series TRS 924, Annex 1
- WHO Working Group meeting on Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Vaccine Standardization, WHO headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, 13-15 September 2017
- WHO Second Working Group Meeting on Developing WHO Guidelines on safe production of polio vaccines, WHO HQ Salle D, 19-20 September 2017
- WHO Workshop on Implementation of Good Manufacturing Practices for Biological Products, Bangkok, Thailand 15-17 November 2017
- WHO Implementation Workshop on the Quality, Safety and Efficacy of Typhoid Conjugate Vaccines, Osong, Chungju-si, The Republic of Korea, 21-13 November 2017