7 December 2013- Update number 200
• Overall influenza activity worldwide remained low.
• Influenza activity in North America remained low in general.
• Low levels of influenza activity in the WHO European Region continued with sporadic detections of influenza viruses reported from a few countries.
• In Asia, influenza activity slightly increased in Mongolia and China. In Southeast Asia, influenza activity decreased in Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Thailand and Viet Nam. In this area, low levels of co-circulation of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, influenza A(H3N2) and influenza B virus was reported.
• In the Caribbean region of Central America and tropical South America countries, reported cases of influenza A infection remained at low levels. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) continued to predominate in certain countries, but within expected seasonal levels.
• Influenza activity in the southern hemisphere is largely over.
• The review of the 2013 influenza season of the southern hemisphere has been published in the Weekly Epidemiological record. See link below
Source of data
The Global Influenza Programme monitors influenza activity worldwide and publishes an update every two weeks.
The updates are based on available epidemiological and virological data sources, including FluNet (reported by the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System) and influenza reports from WHO Regional Offices and Member States. Completeness can vary among updates due to availability and quality of data available at the time when the update is developed.