IOMC and SAICM Emerging Policy Issues
Lead in paint
As stated in resolution II/4, Part B, ICCM2 endorsed a global partnership to promote phasing out the use of lead in paints. In particular the partnership should develop a business plan articulating clear milestones for progress in achieving a global phase-out of lead in paint in the following areas:
- Raising awareness of toxicity to human health and the environment and alternatives;
- Guidance and assistance to identify potential lead exposure;
- Assistance to industry (manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers);
- Prevention programmes to reduce exposure; and
- Promotion of national regulatory frameworks.
ICCM2 invited UNEP and WHO to serve as the secretariat of the global partnership. The partnership should report on progress to ICCM3 in 2012. A web site will be established as a portal to background information.