Ionizing radiation

WHO/REMPAN Collaborating Centres and Liaison Institutions


Assistance provided by Collaborating Centres and Liaison Institutes in radiation emergencies may include:

  • Human Resources Specialists: Specialists in radiation medicine, health physics, radiology, haematology and other appropriate specialities (e.g.of Burn departments), as well as skilled nurses and technicians.
  • Equipment: most centres are well-equipped to provide special medical assistance to overexposed persons. They have portable equipment for radiation monitoring.
  • Medical Services: Assistance is provided for the diagnosis, prognosis, medical treatment and medical follow-up of persons affected by radiation.
  • Scientific Services: Expertise can be provided to assess radiation doses to exposed persons (most of the REMPAN institutions have bio-dosimetry laboratories).
  • Transportation: Advise on the transportation of affected persons.
  • Specialized Teams:WHO could organize multinational teams on rendering medical assistance on site.

How WHO/REMPAN is alerted.

Under the Early Notification Convention, the IAEA is the designated international organization that is officially notified by the accident or affected country and provided with relevant information about the accident. WHO, as well as other co-operating international organizations, are notified and provided with further relevant information through the IAEA.

WHO helps establish a link between the country making the request and REMPAN assisting centre(s) and Regional Offices, keeping all REMPAN centres informed about the details of the accident and progress in its management.

REMPAN meetings

Biennual meetings are held between REMPAN members to promote cooperation within the network, to exchange information and experience, and to maintain the network in a permanent operating state.

One of the meeting objectives is the strengthening of activities related to radiation emergency medical and public health preparedness and response that WHO carries out with international organizations, such as PAHO, IAEA, EC, NEA/OECD and ICRP.