Elimination of leprosy FAQ
What possible problems could arise in the future through the continued application of multidrug therapy that might prevent the goal of elimination being attained?
We all need to be on our guard against such problems as:
- treatment failures due to drug resistance arising from injudicious use of drugs
- a loss of momentum in countries which started with relatively high case-loads and a large number of new cases when they are faced with the difficulties of achieving total geographic coverage with MDT services
- initial success breeding complacency so that health services are unable to sustain high MDT coverage
- total breakdown of health services due to civil disturbances or other factors in already MDT-covered areas
- failing to extend MDT services into difficult-to-access areas/population where the health infrastructure is weak or does not exist.