Indoor residual spraying: An operational manual for IRS for malaria transmission, control and elimination
This manual has been created to enhance existing knowledge and skills, and to assist malaria programme managers, entomologists and vector control and public health officers to design, implement and sustain high quality IRS programmes. Though comprehensive, this manual is not intended to replace field expertise in IRS. The manual is divided into three chapters:
- IRS policy, strategy and standards for national policy makers and programme managers;
- IRS management, including stewardship and safe use of insecticides, for both national programme managers and district IRS coordinators;
- IRS spray application guidelines, primarily for district IRS coordinators, supervisors and team leaders.
This manual will enable national programmes to:
- develop or refine national policies and strategies on vector control;
- develop or update existing national guidelines;
- develop or update existing national training materials;
- review access and coverage of IRS programmes;
- review the quality and impact of IRS programmes.