WHO, in collaboration with UNICEF, and supported by the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn, Child & Adolescent Health and the ECD Action Network is guiding a process to scale up action and results for early childhood development in collaboration with countries all other relevant stakeholders. This process will produce a nurturing care common framework which will guide policy, programme, and budget support at country level.
19 October 2017– Every day in 2016, 15 000 children died before their fifth birthday, 46% of them – or 7000 babies – died in the first 28 days of life. At current trends, 60 million children will die before their fifth birthday between 2017 and 2030, half of them newborns, according to the report released by UNICEF, WHO, the World Bank and the Population Division of UNDESA which make up the Inter-agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation.
4 October 2017 – As part of its response to the global epidemic of obesity, WHO is today releasing guidelines to support primary healthcare workers identify and help children who are overweight or obese. In 2016 an estimated 41 million children under 5 were affected by overweight or obesity. Without effective treatment they are very likely to remain overweight and obese throughout their lives, putting them at risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and premature death, as well as suffering physical and psychological consequences in childhood.
New programme reporting standards for sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health programmes
14 September 2017 – Reporting on health programmes often covers what was done and not how it was done and in what context. This information is key to understanding impact and can facilitate successful replication and scale-up. To address this, WHO is launching new standards for reporting on sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health programmes at this year’s Global Evidence Summit in Cape Town, South Africa.
WHO's work on child health
Stories from countries
Millions of children to receive measles vaccine in north-eastern Nigeria
Preventing violence against children promotes better health
World Immunization Week in Nepal: An anniversary of remembrance
Epidemiology, monitoring and evaluation
- Monitoring Visualization Tool for the Global Action Plan for Pneumonia and Diarrhoea (GAPPD)
- Maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health policy indicators
Data from the Global Health Observatory
We're improving this website
Global situation of child health
- Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) global survey report
- Operationalizing management of sick young infants with possible serious bacterial infection (PSBI) when referral is not feasible in the context of existing maternal, newborn, and child health programmes
- WHO recommendations on child health
- An evidence map of social, behavioural and community engagement interventions for reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health
- Levels and trends in child mortality report 2017