Completed research projects
Recently completed research: publication in preparation
A community-based model of delivery of Kangaroo Mother Care for improving child survival and brain development in low birth weight newborns, Haryana, India.
Aetiology of neonatal infection in South Asia (ANISA).
A multi country cohort study to determine population based rates, timing and causes of maternal deaths, still births and neonatal deaths – AMANHI Mortality study.
A multi country cohort study to determine population based rates of maternal morbidity and its relationship with fetal and neonatal outcomes – AMANHI, Morbidity study.
A multi country cohort study to determine population based rates of preterm birth and approaches to determine gestational age – AMANHI, Gestational age study.
Clan involved approaches to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV in a rural minority area of China.
Community Case Management of Chest Indrawing Pneumonia with oral amoxicillin in children aged 2-59 months old by Community Oriented Resources Persons (CORPs) in Niger state, Nigeria - RACE.
District-wide implementation of maternal and neonatal near miss reviews in Nepal: An implementation research study to inform scale-up
Effectiveness of emollient therapy in reducing neonatal mortality, UP, India
Empowering district-level managers to improve health worker performance in Nepal
Improving the quality of childbirth and neonatal care in Primary Health Centres in two districts of Haryana, India
Operationalising the policy of treating uncomplicated pneumonia, and diarrhoea and fever in children aged 2-59 months by Community Health Workers – ICCM Haryana, India
Pharmacovigilance of infants exposed to antiretroviral drugs given to HIV-infected mothers during breastfeeding – Malawi
The development of a Simple, Effective, Labour Monitoring to Action (SELMA) tool for Better Outcomes in Labour Difficulty (BOLD) Uganda and Nigeria
Completed research with publications
AFRINEST – A multi country trial of simplified Regimens for Management of Possible Serious Bacterial Infections in Neonates and Young Infants for Use in Outpatient and Community Settings: A multi-centre Randomized Controlled Trial in Africa
- AFRINEST - Simplified antibiotic regimens compared with injectable procaine benzylpenicillin plus gentamicin for treatment of neonates and young infants with clinical signs of possible serious bacterial infection when referral is not possible: a randomized, open-label, equivalence trial
- AFRINEST - Oral amoxicillin compared with injectable procaine benzylpenicillin plus gentamicin for treatment of neonates and young infants with fast breathing when referral is not possible: a randomized, open-label, equivalence trial
ICCM Kenya – Integrated Community Case Management (ICCM) in Homa Bay County, Nyanza province, Kenya
IMNCI study – Evaluation of the impact of IMNCI in Haryana, India
- Effect of implementation of Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness (IMNCI) programme on neonatal and infant mortality: cluster randomized controlled trial.
- Effect of implementation of Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness programme on treatment seeking practices for morbidities in infants: cluster randomized trial.
INSPIRE – INtegrating and Scaling up PMTCT through Implementation Research (INSPIRE) projects: implementation research to improve retention-in-care of mothers living with HIV
- Impact of point-of-care CD4 testing on retention in care among HIV-positive pregnant and breastfeeding women in the context of option B+ in Zimbabwe: a cluster randomized controlled trial
- Patterns of HIV care clinic attendance and adherence to antiretroviral therapy among pregnant and breastfeeding women living with HIV in the context of option B+ in Zimbabwe
- Impact of mother–infant pair clinics and short-text messaging service (sms) reminders on retention of HIV-infected women and HIV-exposed infants in eMTCT care in Malawi: a cluster randomized trial
- Integrating HIV and maternal, neonatal and child health services in rural Malawi: an evaluation of the implementation processes and challenges
- Impact of facility- and community-based peer support models on maternal uptake and retention in Malawi's option B+ HIV prevention of mother-to-child transmission program: a 3-arm cluster randomized controlled trial (pure Malawi)
- Viral suppression and HIV drug resistance at 6 months among women in Malawi's option B+ program: results from the pure Malawi study
- The effect of a continuous quality improvement intervention on retention-in-care at 6 months postpartum in a PMTCT program in northern Nigeria: results of a cluster randomized controlled study
- Impact of facility-based mother support groups on retention in care and PMTCT outcomes in rural Zimbabwe: the EPAZ cluster-randomized controlled trial
- Patterns of attendance at mother support groups in Zimbabwe. The EPAZ trial (2014–2016)
- The impact of structured mentor mother programs on 6-month postpartum retention and viral suppression among HIV-positive women in rural Nigeria: a prospective paired cohort study
- The impact of structured mentor mother programs on presentation for early infant diagnosis testing in rural north-central Nigeria: a prospective paired cohort study
LABOUR COMPANION study – Development and implementation of a labour companionship model for integration in public hospitals in three Arab middle-income countries
MORTALITY in HIV-exposed children study – Estimating the relative mortality risk of HIV-exposed, uninfected children
NEOVITA – A multi country study To evaluate the efficacy and safety of neonatal vitamin A supplementation on infant survival - evidence for global policy
- Efficacy of early neonatal supplementation with vitamin A to reduce mortality in infancy in Haryana, India (Neovita): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Effect of early neonatal vitamin A supplementation on mortality during infancy in Ghana (Neovita): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Effect of neonatal vitamin A supplementation on mortality in infants in Tanzania (Neovita): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
NEWHINTS – Effect of home visits intervention on neonatal mortality and care practices in Ghana
NIGRAAN – Addressing Structural Gaps in Supervisory System of Pakistan's Lady Health Worker Program to Achieve MDG 4, Pakistan.
- Caregivers’ knowledge, practices about childhood diarrhea and pneumonia and their perceptions of lady health worker program; findings from NIGRAAN implementation research project.
- Challenges in implementing a community based trial in a rural Pakistani district: lessons learnt from project NIGRAAN
- Policy makers perceptions regarding the performance of the LHW program: is there a know do gap? Findings from the NIGRAAN project
NOMPILO – A continuous quality improvement intervention to improve the effectiveness of community health workers providing care to mother and children – South Africa
PSBI - SATT Pakistan – Simplified antibiotic regimens for the management of sepsis in young infants in first level facilities: Randomized controlled trial Pakistan.
PSBI - SATT Bangladesh – Safety and efficacy of simplified antibiotic regimens for outpatient treatment of suspected sepsis in neonates and young infants in Bangladesh.
SAM treatment trial – Evaluating the impact of three feeding regimens on the recovery of children from uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition in India and to use the evidence to inform national policy – SAM, India.
SBA scale-up study – Overcoming barriers to scaling up the utilization of skilled birth attendants (SBAs) to improve maternal, newborn and child health in Nepal.
VERBAL AUTOPSY study – Development and evaluation of verbal autopsy tools and methods for neonatal deaths an stillbirths – India, Pakistan
- Validation of verbal autopsy tool for ascertaining the causes of stillbirth.
- Validity of verbal autopsy for ascertaining the causes of stillbirth.
- Accuracy of WHO verbal autopsy tool in determining major causes of neonatal deaths in India.
- Diagnostic accuracy of WHO verbal autopsy tool for ascertaining causes of neonatal deaths in the urban setting of Pakistan: a hospital-based prospective study.