Third Global Forum on Human Resources for Health
Place: Recife, Brazil
Date: 10–13 November, 2013
The theme of this forum is ‘Human Resources for Health: foundation for Universal Health Coverage and the post-2015 development agenda.’
Main issues for discussion
- Learning from a decade of action on HRH with respect to efforts to achieve the health-related MDGs as well as other important national and global health goals? Are we on the right track towards universal health coverage (UHC)?
- Matching health workforce production to population needs and expectations.
- Social needs and the regulatory role of the State.
- Deployment, retention and management for an effective health workforce.
- Empowerment and incentives for health personnel as we move towards UHC.
- Exploring a forward looking agenda to make sure the health workforce is the vanguard for UHC.
These main issues will be addressed in high-level round table discussions as well as parallel track sessions.
- Elicit and announce new tangible HRH commitments from Member States.
- Update the HRH agenda to make it relevant to the current global health policy discourse including:
- a push to accelerate progress towards attaining the MDGs
- promoting universal health coverage
- identifying post-2015 health development priorities.
- New HRH commitments from governments, donors, development partners, private sector, civil society and other key HRH stakeholders.
- Greater accountability to track, monitor and report on commitments.
- Clearer links established between the HRH agenda and the remaining MDG years, universal health coverage, social determinants of health, Rio+20 process and the post-2015 development agenda.