Promoting Mental Health; concepts, emerging evidence and practice
This Report offers:
- discussion of the concepts of mental health and mental health promotion, and a description of the relationship of mental health to mental illnesses;
- a rationale for the place of mental health promotion within public health, alongside prevention of mental illness and the treatment and rehabilitation of people living with mental illnesses and related disabilities;
- the various perspectives that open when considering mental health as a public health issue, the types of evidence that exist in this area, and the feasibility of mental health promotion strategies;
- examples of the interventions possible and the responsibility of various sectors; and
- a way forward to activities that could be undertaken immediately within a variety of resource settings.