Global and Regional Forum Meetings
The Forums provide an opportunity for interested and committed stakeholders to support the implementation of the NCD Action Plan. The roles of the Forums are:
- to provide an inclusive, participatory process by linking plans and activities of engaged stakeholders to the implementation of specific interventions of the NCD Action Plan;
- to enable all participants and observers in the NCD Network to share knowledge and information and exchange best practices;
- to consolidate and reinforce participants' commitment to the goals and objectives of the NCD Action Plan;
- to increase the capacity for advocacy in participating organizations and individuals;
- to facilitate the elaboration of work plans that are aimed towards the achievement of the NCD Action Plan; and
- to share information on progress, challenges and opportunities in relation to the implementation of the NCD Action Plan.
The Forum shall include representatives from member states, international partners and other stakeholders involved in implementing the NCD Action Plan, including governments, intergovernmental organizations, regional bodies, philanthropic foundations, NGO's and civil society, media and the private sector. Criteria for involvement of stakeholders will be developed and will stress avoidance of conflicts of interest, expertise in one or more NCD disease or risk factor areas, geographic and gender balance, multi-stakeholder and sector participation, participation in Regional NCD Forums, and a willingness to work collectively. Given the many diseases and risk factors concerned, the criteria will be used to balance representativeness with manageable numbers.
The Global Forum is anticipated to meet once every one to two years. In addition, the NCD Network will engage closely with Regional Forums where they exist, such as the PAHO Regional Partners Forum, and will promote their establishment in regions that do not yet have such forums.