About the Global Partners Meeting
Collaborate. Accelerate. Eliminate
The World Health Organization (WHO) will host a Global Partners Meeting on Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) on 19 April 2017.
The event, which will also launch the Fourth WHO Report on Neglected Tropical Diseases, will recognize achievements of the past decade, sustain support towards the 2020 WHO Roadmap targets, and call on partners to facilitate availability of resources needed beyond 2020.
Representatives of Member States, donor agencies, foundations, the private sector, academia and stakeholders are expected to attend.
The theme -“Collaborate. Accelerate. Eliminate” - summarizes an exemplary informal collaboration with WHO since the first partners meeting was held in 2007 and which marked a ‘turning point’ in global efforts to control and eliminate these poverty-related diseases.
In 2012 and inspired by the WHO NTD Roadmap, partners signed the London Declaration on Neglected Tropical Diseases through which they pledged to support WHO in the control and elimination of 10 neglected tropical diseases by 2020.
During the past five years and due to an enhanced coordination and collaboration in delivering interventions to affected populations, nearly one billion people were treated for at least one neglected tropical disease in 2015 alone.
WHO looks forward to welcoming new actors to further support and sustain the current drive by integrating NTD interventions into national health systems and implementing cross-sectoral approaches to achieve universal health coverage against NTDs by 2030, in line with target 3.3 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- 2015 – NTD interventions reach almost a billion of the poorest people
- 2013 – WHO’s decision making body – the World Health Assembly – passes Resolution 66.12 calling on countries to accelerate interventions to eliminate NTDs
- 2012 – WHO publishes the NTD Roadmap with 2015 and 2020 targets. Inspired by the Roadmap, partners endorse the London Declaration committing renewed support to eliminating 10 NTDs.
- 2010 – WHO publishes its first global NTD Report, triggering renewed and additional medicine and in-kind donations.
- 2008 – WHO publishes its ‘Global Plan to Combat Neglected Tropical Diseases 2008 – 2015.
- 2007 – WHO hosts the First Global Partners’ Meeting, heralding a close multi-stakeholder collaboration.