What are national health accounts (NHA)?
NHA is a tool designed to assist policy-makers in their efforts to understand their health systems and to improve health system performance.
NHA constitute a systematic, comprehensive and consistent monitoring of resource flows in a country’s health system for a given period and reflect the main functions of health care financing: resource mobilization & allocation, pooling and insurance, purchasing of care and the distribution of benefits.
They address a basic set of questions:
- Where do the resources come from?
- Where do the resources go?
- What kinds of services and goods do they purchase?
- Who provides what services?
- What inputs are used for providing services?
- Whom do they benefit?