Department of Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion (CHP)
A health promoting world free of preventable chronic diseases.
To provide leadership and direction for urgent global, regional and national efforts to promote health and to prevent and control major chronic diseases and their risk factors.
- advocate for health promotion and chronic disease prevention and control;
- promote health, especially for poor and disadvantaged populations;
- slow and reverse the adverse trends in the common chronic disease risk factors;
- prevent premature death and avoid unnecessary disability due to major chronic diseases;
- prevent blindness and deafness.
- a comprehensive, integrated and stepwise approach to surveillance, prevention and management;
- evidence-based, pro-equity approaches;
- a life course approach;
- multi-sectoral work;
- Advocacy initiatives: coordination and strengthening of global advocacy and communications on chronic disease and health promotion issues;
- Providing information for policy: Maintenance and strengthening of the Global InfoBase;
- Health Promotion: addressing underlying determinants of population risk to improve health and reduce health inequalities;
- Surveillance and population-based Prevention: reduce population levels of risk through STEPwise approach and the Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health;
- Prevention and management: integrated approach to prevention and management of chronic diseases;