How to promote international cooperation and coordination
The UN High-level Meeting on NCDs is the time to acknowledge that NCDs are a major threat to health and development worldwide, and that we know how to prevent, treat and reduce the burden of NCDs. We must act now to:
- Make prevention work worldwide and involve all sectors
- Invest in strong health systems and services and scale up access to NCD treatment and care in all countries
- Establish robust health financing systems
- Put NCDs at the heart of efforts to promote economic growth and position NCDs as central to development
Policy implementation steps
- This is the second time in the UN history that the UN General Assembly will meet on an emerging health issue with major socio-economic impact.
- The UN General Assembly is calling for the participation of Heads of State and Government
- The UN General Assembly has requested that the Meeting will result in a concise action-oriented outcome document, that will contain commitments to address NCDs. This will shape the international agenda for generations to come.
- The Millennium Development Goals and tobacco control
- Gender, women and the tobacco epidemic
- UN Secretary-General's report on the prevention and control of NCDs
- Moscow Declaration on NCDs adopted by the World Health Assembly
Summary of the outcomes of the informal interactive hearing for civil society and the private sector
Draft outcome document of the UN high-level meeting on NCDs