Name of Centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Food and Nutrition Policies
Head of Centre:
Professor Antonia Trichopoulou
Institution and address:
Department of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Medical Statistics
University of Athens Medical School
Mikras Asias 75, Goudi
+30 (210) 746 20 74
+30 (210) 748 20 79
Date of Designation:
9 March 1990
24 July 2009
24 July 2013
Terms of Reference:
- To support WHO and Member States in the development of food and nutrition policy design and national food-based dietary guidelines as being priority actions of the Second WHO European Action Plan for Food and Nutrition Policy 2007-2012.
- To support WHO and Member States in the development of national and international surveillance systems on food availability and consumption (based on household budget surveys) as being one of the priority actions of the Second WHO European Action Plan for Food and Nutrition Policy 2007-2012.
- To support WHO in the assessment of the adequacy of the dietary intake of the general population in Member States.
- To assess the impact of eating out (meals taken outside home) on the obesity epidemic.
- To provide training/capacity building of health professionals on nutrition, physical activity and NCD risk factors in WHO Member States.
- To assess the nutritional properties of traditional foods and evaluate their role in modern nutrition.
Types of activity:
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information
- Information dissemination
- Product development (guidelines; manual; methodologies; etc.)