Name of Centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Training and Outreach in Food and Nutrition
Head of Centre:
Dr Nahla Hwalla
Department of Nutrition and Food Science
American University of Beirut
Riad El Solh 1107 2020
+961 1 350 000 ext 4540
+961 1 744 460
Date of Designation:
1 November 2007
17 November 2011
17 November 2015
Terms of Reference:
- To serve as a centre for initiating proper awareness in issues related to food and nutrition to people in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
- To assist WHO in the collection and dissemination of information on health, illness and risk behaviors, to collaboratively work towards the prevention and treatment of nutrition-related diseases prevalent in the Eastern Mediterranean region; undernutrition (e.g. anemia and micronutrient deficiencies) and overnutrition (e.g. obesity and its related comorbidities such as diabetes and hyperlipidemia)
- To enhance capacity building in nutrition in the Eastern Mediterranean region, through training workshops and seminars, publishing articles in academic journals, and generating reports to stimulate further discussion and research.
- To present its findings to policymakers, the community, and representatives of civil society organizations, as well as to disseminate findings on the social implications of health and related issues.
- To serve as an information resource center on food, nutrition, and bio-safety, and to develop outreach programs for extending research-based information to the general population, consumers and professionals in food science and nutrition.
- Food safety
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information