Name of Centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre for Nutrition
Head of Centre:
Institution and address:
Department of Endocrinology, Collegium Medicum
Kopernika str 17, 31-501
+4812 424 7520
+4812 424 7399
Date of Designation:
08 September 2008
08 September 2008
08 September 2012
Terms of Reference:
- Prevention of Iodine Deficiency Disorders
- Development of measures to align salt iodization strategy with salt reduction strategy.
In Poland a revision of salt iodization levels is being implemented, based on salt intake monitoring, on the use of iodized salt in bread production and on IDD monitoring. This experience can be used to illustrate the compatibility of the salt iodization strategy and salt intake reduction strategy.
- Complementary methods of inclusion of iodine in the food chain
In Poland iodization of animal salt licks and iodization of table water is going to be implemented. Experience gained will provide information about the feasibility and effectiveness of alternative methods of inclusion of iodine in the food chain.
- Public campaign focused on iodine deficiency
The Collaborating Centre would perform press conferences and prepare TV spots to improve public awareness about IDD and promote the correct use of iodized food products. The Centre would consider how to develop clear and unambiguous messages about the use of iodized salt, while recommending an overall reduction of dietary salt intake.
- Labeling of iodine fortified products
The Collaborating Centre would analyse the labelling of iodized household salt and table water and illustrate good practices on how to communicate to consumers on labels.
- Primary prevention of type 2 diabetes
The Collaborating Centre will implement the international program DE-PLAN and the study “Image” focused on education and promotion of non-pharmacological interventions. The main target is to introduce model of early diagnosis of type2 diabetes and non-pharmacological intervention on the primary health care level. This experience will allow to contribute to the WHO work on primary prevention of non communicable diseases through primary health care.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Research
The Collaborating Centre would perform monitoring and research activities in the following areas:
- Monitoring IDD in schoolchildren and pregnant women (Thyromobil action) developed within the framework of the Program for Elimination of Iodine Deficiency in Poland, financed by the Ministry of Health.
- Monitoring of incidence rate of thyroid cancer, developed and financed as above.
- Investigation on economics of primary prevention of type 2 diabetes and iodine prophylaxis.
Types of activity:
- Product development (guidelines, manual, methodologies, etc.)
- Collection, collation and dissemination of information