Name of Centre:
WHO Collaborating Centre in Nutrition
Head of Centre:
Dr. Ayesha Al Dhaheri
Institution and address:
Nutrition and Health Department
College of Food and Agriculture - United Arab Emirates University
P.O. Box 17555, Al Ain
United Arab Emirates
+971 50 616 7671
+971 3 763 2384
Date of Designation:
1 April 2011
1 April 2011
1 April 2015
Terms of Reference:
- To promote greater awareness in issues related to food and nutrition in the general population and policy makers in UAE and the Gulf region.
- To assist WHO in the prevention and treatment of nutrition related diseases, including under-nutrition, over-nutrition such micronutrient deficiencies, obesity and diet related chronic diseases by strengthening the evidence base and developing innovative solutions.
- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of food and nutrition policies in the UAE and the Gulf countries.
- To assist WHO in collection and dissemination of information on nutritional status of the population and the implementation of nutrition interventions.
- To serve as information resource center for extending research-based information on nutrition, food, and agro-health, through training workshops and seminars and publishing in academic and scientific journals.
Types of activity:
- Training and education
- Collection; collation and dissemination of information