Questions for the e-Forum
FAO/WHO encourage the Codex members to propose ways that relevant Codex Committees could support the promotion of healthy dietary habits within the Codex structure and mandate and, in turn, assist the implementation of the Global Strategy/DPAH.
The following set of questions are offered to guide this reflection. However, further input and suggestions outside the scope of the questions are also welcomed.
- Does the Codex Alimentarius Commission have a role in the implementation of the Global Strategy/DPAH?
- If yes, please describe would that role should be? Please include in your consideration the topic areas that are relevant. Are the following areas pertinent: (i) food composition standards, and (ii) provision of nutrition and health information about foods to facilitate informed choice by consumers?
- Are the following issues pertinent to Codex Committees' activities related to the implementation of the Global Strategy/DPAH?
- scientific advice about the nature of the evidence needed to support the use of health claims.
- scientific advice concerning consumer use and understanding of labelling and/or labelling approaches and formats.
- Are there other areas where scientific advice would be pertinent?
- authoritative statements about the attributes of a diet in reducing risk of a diet-related disease, especially what impacts there would be on the health of consumers if the amount of energy/nutrients is increased or decreased.
- risk assessments for nutrients and related substances in relation to the Global Strategy/DPAH.
- Given the importance of nutrition issues in general to the Global Strategy/DPAH and the cross-cutting nature of nutrition as a topic that cuts across the Codex system, what process could be used to manage and coordinate nutrition issues throughout the Codex system?
- Please respond within the context of the Terms of Reference of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses and the Codex Committee on Food Labelling.
- What role can Codex Committees play in the overall management of nutrition issues within the Codex Alimentarius Commission?