BFHI Section 2
Strengthening and sustaining the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative: A course for decision-makers
Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative: Revised, Updated and Expanded for Integrated Care
Section 2: Strengthening and sustaining the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative: A course for decision-makers
This course is an adaptation from WHO course "Promoting breast-feeding in health facilities: A short course for administrators and policy-makers". It can be used to orient hospital decisions-makers (directors, administrators, key managers, etc.) and policy-makers to the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative and the positive impacts it can have and to gain their commitment to promoting and sustaining "Baby-friendly".
The course material includes a Course Guide and eight Session Plans with handouts and PowerPoint slides. Two alternative session plans and materials for use in settings with high HIV prevalence have been included.
- 2.1 The national infant feeding situation
- 2.2 Benefits of breastfeeding
- 2.3 The Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative
- 2.4 The scientific basis for the “Ten steps to successful breastfeeding”
- 2.4 (HIV) The scientific basis for the “Ten steps to successful breastfeeding” for settings with high HIV prevalence
- 2.5 Becoming “baby-friendly”
- 2.5 (HIV) Becoming“baby-friendly” in settings with high HIV prevalence
- 2.6 Costs and savings
- 2.7 Appraising policies and practices
- 2.8 Developing action plans