At most sites, the study proceeded through the following six phases:
- A thorough review of the scientific literature;
- Consultation with policy-makers, researchers, international and bilateral agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and community groups;
- Qualitative studies at community, household and individual levels, including participatory rapid appraisal studies;
- Quantitative data collection;
- Data entry, processing and analysis;
- Preparation of final report and dissemination of findings through a national seminar.