WHO Scientific Update on Trans Fatty Acids (TFA)
WHO undertook a Scientific Update on Trans Fatty Acids (TFA) as part of the implementation of the Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. The Scientific Update reviewed the health effects of TFA from both epidemiological and experimental perspectives, as well as the feasibility of alternative replacements. The expert group met in Geneva from 29 to 30 October 2007 and reviewed scientific background papers prepared and further agreed to prepare six scientific review papers.
- General historical background of the work related to TFA and the Global Strategy.
- Health effects of TFA: Experimental and observational evidence.
- Quantitative effects on cardiovascular risk factors and coronary heart disease risk of replacing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils with other fats and oils.
- Feasibility of recommending certain replacement or alternative fats.
- Assessing approaches to removing TFA in the food supply in industrialized countries and in developing countries.
- Summary and conclusions of the Scientific Update.