Vacancy Notice: Technical Officer (P5)
Objectives of the programme:
NHD aims at building and implementing a science-based, comprehensive, integrated and action-oriented "Nutrition Agenda" at global, regional and country levels, that addresses the whole spectrum of nutrition problems. NHD provides Member States and the international community with science-based norms, standards, recommendations and technical guidance. NHD provides operational and political support to Member States to build their capacity in identifying problems and best policy options, implementing the required nutrition interventions, monitoring progress and assessing impact. NHD acts globally and internationally to raise awareness and commitment, to build alliances, networks and partnerships in a human-rights and multi-stakeholder perspective, towards attaining the Millennium Development Goals.
NHD comprises three units: GRS (Growth Assessment and Surveillance), EPG (Evidence and Programme Guidance), and NPU (Nutrition Policy and Scientific Advice). The Office of the Director (OD) has overall responsibility over the action priorities of WHO in nutrition. The OD coordinates strategic projects in HQ and in all of WHO on surveillance and scaling up effective nutrition actions in countries; on the development and dissemination of evidence based policies and programmes. The OD liaises with other UN organizations and other stakeholders for the implementation of initiatives aimed at achieving global nutrition targets.
Description of duties:
Under the supervision of the Director of the Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, the incumbent will undertake the following assigned duties:
- Spearhead the development and implementation of WHO wide action and policies for the promotion, protection and support of breastfeeding, including the identification of good programmatic practices, the provision of information to WHO staff at all levels, the development of advocacy materials and the engagement with different stakeholders
- Establish, coordinate, and lead a WHO led global network on monitoring the implementation of the Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes
- Build strong partnerships and provide technical expertise and support to Member States on the development of appropriate marketing of complementary foods and
- Provide support to Member States for the establishment of policies and programmes aimed at achieving the WHA global nutrition targets, as requested
- Oversee and ensure the timely reporting to Senior Management, other UN Partners and Member States on infant and young child nutrition and other global nutrition initiatives and targets.
All other related duties as assigned.
Advanced University degree in nutritional sciences or social/political sciences.
Ph.D. in nutritional sciences or social/political sciences.
Courses in statistics and epidemiology.
- Knowledge of the principles of infant and young child feeding for the prevention of different nutrition conditions.
- Initiative, tact, a high sense of responsibility, and ability to communicate and collaborate harmoniously with people of varied national and cultural backgrounds, both within and outside WHO.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent analytical and research skills.
- Good communication and writing skills. Knowledge of computer software, i.e. STATA, SPSS, Excel, Access, Reference Manager, Publisher
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences<
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Producing results
At least 10 years' experience in the area of public health nutrition, including demonstrated progressive experience at the international level collecting and analyzing nutrition data, preparing reports and advocacy documents, managing action networks, developing public health initiatives with multiple stakeholders.
Experience in strategic planning and communication.
Expert knowledge of English.
Intermediate knowledge of another WHO Language.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice.
A written test may form part of the screening process.
This Vacancy Notice is published in English only.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
USD 80887 at single rate
USD 87069 with primary dependants
103.3 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
To access the vacancy notice and further details related to the post, please visit the WHO websites at: https://erecruit.who.int/public/hrd-cl-vac-view.asp?o_c=1000&jobinfo_uid_c=29142&vaclng=en