2nd Global meeting on implementing new and under-utilized vaccines, 23-25 June 2008
Cold chain and logistics
New vaccines present a number of challenges in terms of logistics and vaccine management. They are most likely to be presented in single, or low multi-dose presentations and pre-filled devices, which have implications for transport systems, cold chain requirements, training and waste management.
- Partners to work with members of the Optimize Project (with the goal of shaping the future of supply and delivery systems for vaccines and other health products in low and middle-income countries) on optimal presentation and packaging specifications for new vaccines.
- Offer countries technical assistance for vaccine management — including information on vaccine presentation in the planning stages of new vaccine introduction.
- Provide consistent information to countries on the requirements and assessment tools available for vaccine management and cold chain implementation.
- Disseminate cost analyses widely to ensure that prioritization of and financing for enhanced cold chain capacity is at the forefront of country decision-making.
- Make optimal use of data management and cold chain assessment tools to facilitate and accelerate collection, analysis and sharing of data on countries' cold chain capacity and readiness for introduction.