Protecting Workers' Health Series No. 7
A practical guide for the use of research information to improve the quality of occupational health practice
The guide aims at developing skills in:
- asking relevant questions that originate from professional practice
- reformulating questions from practice in such a way that it results in the capability of looking for an answer in scientific or evidence-based information sources, for example recently updated manuals, guidelines, journal articles or high quality websites.
- performing a focussed search on Internet in the Medline database using the PubMed search engine
- globally appraising the value of scientific articles found with regard to reliability and relevance to the question asked
- formulating an answer to the question, based on the information found, and applying this in practice.
- presenting the result to colleagues, for example in the context of a clinical audit or journal club.