Planning conference for oral health in the African region, April 2004
Nairobi, Kenya, 15-16 April 2004 - Organized by the FDI World Dental Federation and co-sponsored by the WHO Oral Health Programme
About the conference
Oral health in Africa
The FDI World Dental Federation and the World Health Organization WHO decided to use their unique network of members, partners and stakeholders in oral health to organise a conference with an integrated approach aiming at substantial improvements of oral health in Africa.
The aims of the conference were to:
1. Raise awareness for oral health and its impact for political, medical and dental leaders of the African region.
2. Highlight the WHO Oral Health Global Approaches and Strategy for Promotion of Oral Health, particularly the risk factor approach, the policy on Diet, Nutrition and Non-communicable Disease Prevention, and WHO policies on effective uses of fluorides for community preventive programmes.
3. Provide the tools and actions to meet the populations oral health needs.
4. Take actions to ensure sustainability and expansion.
The overall guiding theme was the impact of oral health on well being and appropriate strategies to tackle oral diseases. Presentations detailed the following issues:
- WHO strategies for oral health and the new global goals for oral health.
- The burden of oral disease, risks to health and the impact on social and economic development.
- Prevention, essential care and primary care: from isolation to integration.
- Oral health as part of health care.
Internationally renowned experts from WHO and the world of dentistry outlined examples from other countries and successful oral health development projects. The second day focused on hands-on workshops for technical officers supporting them in oral health care planning and implementation. Interpretation in English and French was available.
- All Ministers of Health of the African WHO Member Countries
- Key health budget holders from the respective countries
- Chief Dental Officers
- Representatives of National Dental Associations
For more information please contact:
FDI World Dental Federation
13, chemin du Levant
F-01210 Ferney Voltaire
tel: +33 450 40 50 50
fax: +33 450 40 55 55