High 5s meet in Canada
The High 5s Steering Group and Train-the-Trainer Conference took place on 3-5 June in Toronto, Canada and was hosted by the Canadian Patient Safety Institute .
The Steering Group conference saw the participation of representatives from the lead technical agencies (LTAs) of Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States of America as well as from WHO and the WHO Collaborating Centre on Patient Safety. LTA representatives from Saudi Arabia and Singapore were unable to participate at the meeting. The conference heard an update of country achievements on hospital selection and organization of training on the standard operating protocols (SOPs). Steering Group tasks completed include:
- 3 SOPs and SOP-specific performance measures
- event analysis framework
- harm scale to judge event severity
- hospitals demographic profile
- data quality monitoring protocols
- SOP-specific implementation toolkits
- communication and information toolkits
- web-based information management system to support the project and outcomes
- learning community framework
- publications subcommittee to oversee issues related to copyright
Following the Steering Group meeting, the Train-the-Trainer workshop took place on 4-5 June 2009. Each LTA was invited to bring a team of up to six individuals to participate in the training. The training begun with a half-day project overview session including a demonstration of the High 5s web-based information management system and was followed by in-depth training sessions on each SOP including implementation, performance measures and event analysis.