Sixty-third World Health Assembly
WHA63 Agenda items related to PUBLIC HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT
- Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management, and progress report on Climate Change and Health (A63/21) [pdf 44kb]
- EB126.R12: Improvement of health through safe and environmentally sound waste management [pdf 14.7kb]
- EB126.R13: Improvement of health through sound management of obsolete pesticides and other obsolete chemicals [pdf 85kb]
- Climate change and health progress report
DID YOU KNOW that …?
Unhealthy environments cause at least one-quarter of deaths globally among children under the age of 5. Most of these deaths occur in developing countries.
Acute respiratory infections and diarrhoea are the two leading causes of deaths of children under the age of 5:
- About 50% of deaths from lower respiratory infections are preventable by eliminating indoor air pollution due to solid fuel use.
- About 88% of deaths from diarrhoea can be prevented by providing safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene.
Improved environmental health is a powerful primary preventive health strategy. It can support achievement of the Millennium Development Goals – and particularly health-related goals.