Expert Working Group on R&D financing
The Director-General is pleased to announce the establishment of a results-oriented and time-limited Expert Working Group as requested by Member States in the recently adopted Health Assembly Resolution on the Global strategy and plan of action on public health, innovation and intellectual property.
This group will examine current financing and coordination of research and development, as well as proposals for new and innovative sources of funding to stimulate research and development related to Type II and Type III diseases and the specific R&D needs of developing countries in relation to Type I diseases.
The members of the group are internationally recognized policy makers and technical experts in the field of public health, biomedical science, finance, and economics. The members of the group will participate in their personal capacity providing technical expertise and strategic guidance to take forward this important component of the global strategy.
Futhermore, it is expected that a number of additional experts will be invited to provide expert testimonies and attend sessions of the Expert group to discuss specific issues at the request of the group. The final report of the expert group will be presented to the Health Assembly in May 2010.
The members of the Expert Working Group are:
- Sir George Alleyne (Barbados)
- Professor José Carvalho de Noronha (Brazil)
- Dr. Pedro Conceição (Portugal)
- Professor Nirmal Ganguly (India)
- Professor Jean-François Girard (France)
- Professor Yan Guo (China)
- Professor Nabil Kronfol (Lebanon)
- Dr. Cecilia Lopez Montaño (Colombia)
- Dr. Sigrun Møgedal (Norway)
- Dr Mary Moran (Australia)
- Professor Peter Ndumbe (Cameroon)
- Dr. Sania Nishtar (Pakistan)
- Ms Joy Phumaphi (Botswana)
- Dr. Mark Rohrbaugh (USA)
- Dr. Ursula Schaefer-Preuss (Germany)
- Dr Sibusiso Sibisi (South Africa)
- Dr. Sue Szabo (Canada)
- Professor Keizo Takemi (Japan)
- Dr Lars Thunell (Sweden)
- Dr Mark Walport (United Kingdom)
- Professor Miriam Were (Kenya)
- Mr Philip Yeo (Singapore)
- Professor Yongyuth Yuthavong (Thailand)
- Dr. Philippe Douste-Blazy, Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Innovative Financing for Development (France)