Local production for access to medical products
Phase 1 of this project concentrates on identifying the main challenges and obstacles to local production of medical products and related technology transfer in developing countries. The aim of this work was to develop a framework that could bring together and guide policymakers and others from all relevant fields to support the local production of medicines, vaccines and diagnostics in a manner that should improve access maximizing the potential to improve public health.
The project is in the context of the Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health Innovation and Intellectual Property supported with funding from the European Union. The outputs of phase 1 were published at a seminar in the European Parliament on 7 December 2011.
The project is undertaken in partnership with the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) and a range of stakeholders working in the fields of public health, industrial policy and development.
The project involved: commissioned literature reviews to describe the current landscape and historical and current trends; regional workshops with a broad range of stakeholders; and in-country work to investigate and describe a series of company-focused case studies from low- and middle- income countries.
- Introduction brochure: Promoting and supporting local manufacturing of quality medical products in developing countries: The Business Case for Improving Access
- Cuban experience with local production of medicines, technology transfer and improving access to health
- Experiencia cubana en la producción local de medicamentos, transferencia de tecnología y mejoramiento en el acceso a la salud
- Improving access to safe blood products through local production and technology transfer in blood establishments
- Local production for access to medical products: Developing a framework to improve public health (Policy brief)
- Local production for access to medical products: Developing a framework to improve public health
- Local production and access to medicine in low- and middle-income countries: A literature review and critical analysis
- Trends in local production of medicines and related technology transfer
- Pharmaceutical production and related technology transfer: Landscape report
- Local production of pharmaceuticals and related technology transfer: A series of case studies by the UNCTAD Secretariat
- Increasing access to vaccines through technology transfer and local production
- Increasing access to diagnostics through technology transfer and local production
- Global strategy and plan of action on public health, innovation and intellectual property
Local Production and Technology Transfer to Increase Access to Medical Devices