PMNCH Board welcomes new Co-Chairs and Members
JANUARY 2012 | GENEVA -In 2011, PMNCH co-chairs Vinod Paul (Academic Expert) and Purnima Mane (UNFPA) completed their terms with the PMNCH Board. PMNCH would like to thank them most sincerely: both have been stalwart supporters of PMNCH, engaging with much energy, a profound depth of knowledge, and always with the interests of women and children at the forefront of their concerns.
The new Co-Chairs, elected by the Board, are:
- the Government of India, represented by the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, the Honorable Ghulam Nabi Azad, and
- the World Health Organization, represented by Assistant Director-General, Dr Flavia Bustreo.
Both members come to the position of Co-Chair with a great deal of experience with reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health:
- India`s involvement in PMNCH goes back to April 2005, when it hosted the initial "Lives in the Balance Meeting" in April 2005 in Delhi, India--a meeting which agreed the 2005 Delhi Declaration on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health and which led to the formation of the PMNCH. In 2010, India again hosted the 2010 PMNCH Partners` Forum, with Hon Minister Azad as Co-Chair of the Forum.
- A pediatrician, Dr Flavia Bustreo has been involved in reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health on a global level for many years and with PMNCH since its inception in 2005 through the Countdown to 2015 Initiative, and later, worked in the PMNCH secretariat as Director prior to her move to WHO as ADG.
New PMNCH Board members
PMNCH Board welcomed several Board members since June 2011:
- International Planned Parenthood Federation with Tewodros Melesse (replacing CARE US), and AusAID with Benedict David (replacing USAID).
- In 2012, we welcome back Canada (CIDA) to the Board with Jennifer Goosen, taking Sweden’s seat.
With many thanks to the outgoing organizations and their representatives for their continued support and constructive engagement in the Board.