Countdown to 2015: Tracking progress in maternal, newborn and child health
Countdown 2008 Conference
Cape Town, South Africa, April 2008
The Countdown Conference 2008 will open a window of opportunities for the global community to put the issues of maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) on the agenda of the highest-level of decision- and policy-makers by releasing a groundbreaking announcement on the latest state of the global progress towards MDGs 4 and 5. A special focus will be on reducing maternal mortality. This event is envisaged to become an important milestone following a wave of international advocacy efforts to mobilize global commitment and actions in MNCH.
- To deliver on the commitment by international organizations to conduct periodic reviews on the global progress towards the achievement of high and equitable coverage with essential maternal, newborn and child survival interventions in countries;
- To launch an international report with the purpose of sharing the findings on barriers and solutions for better policy and programmatic interventions;
- To foster global awareness for policy advocacy and resource mobilization for MDGs 4 and 5.
The Conference will take place in conjunction with the 118th Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly scheduled in Cape Town, South Africa on 13 - 18 April 2008.
- Raise awareness and prompt action in the promotion of regular reporting of progress made in the field of maternal, newborn and child health at the country level;
- Make use of the 2008 Report to help promote actions in maternal, newborn and child health through adequate health policies at the country level;
- Promote policy- and decision-makers’ awareness on both maternal and child health issues (MDG 4 and 5) in terms of commitment, resources allocation and action at the country and/or regional level.