Health Care Professional Associations Workshop, Burkina Faso
26-29 March 2008
This is the second in a series of multi-country workshops of Health Care Professional Associations in affiliation with the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health. The overall objective of this workshop is to increase the contribution of HCP Associations to national MNCH plans through a strengthened participation in policy and programme development and an increased alignment of activities to the national targets regarding the achievement of MDGs 4 and 5 (reducing child mortality by 2/3 and maternal mortality by ¾ by 2015).
- Strengthen organizational aspects of HCP associations to enable them to develop more fully their roles in the areas mentioned in objectives 1 – 4, and establish better partnering between associations and with the public sector: Strengthening leadership, defining vision-plans-responsibilities, effective partnering with the public sector, harnessing energies of members, keeping HCPAs involved in key issues affecting MNCH
- Strengthen the role of HCP associations as advocates for MNCH and in policy dialogue: Being an effective player in dealing with legislative barriers, improving drug use policies, advocating for MNCH funding, quality improvement measures
- Explore HCP associations role of HCPAs in planning: Working together and as good partners with the public sector to make this effective
- Develop the role of HCP associations in quality improvement: Training, continuing education, monitoring / supervision, standards of care, regulation and accreditation issues
- Increase HCPA joint activities to address the human resources crisis with respect to MNCH: Advocacy for and development of new cadres, task analyses, revision of job descriptions.
At country level
Priority actions that support existing country MNCH plans identified and committed to by country teams* (implementation within 1-2 years). These actions should enhance the participation and role of HCP Associations in:
- Advocacy and MNCH policy dialogue (3 – 5 actions)
- Supporting one country MNCH plan (3 – 5 actions)
- Improving the quality of MNCH care (3 – 5 actions)
- Working together to address the human resources crisis (3 – 5 actions)
- Strengthening the organizational aspects of HCP associations (3 – 5 actions)
* Note: Each country team will choose 2 or 3 of the five areas to work on, that are clearly linked to country MNCH plans.
At regional and international levels
Areas of support from regional and/ or international bodies determined for the activities identified as priority by country teams.
Up to eight representatives from five countries, comprising health care professionals (6 or 7 representatives) and one public sector senior official; as well, international and regional organization representatives will be invited. Expected total participation will be approx. 50.
- Professional associations are: International Confederation of Midwives, International Council of Nurses, International Federation of Gynecology & Obstetrics, International Pediatric Association, International Pharmaceutical Federation , Council of International Neonatal Nurses
- Representatives from international/regional associations