Week of United Nations High-level and Partner Side-event meetings
22-26 September 2008
Spotlight: new commitments for maternal, newborn & child health (MNCH)
Leaders from across the globe re-committed and made new commitments to achieving the Millennium Development Goals(MDGs) at several key meetings in New York during the week of the opening of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly, from 22-26 September 2008.
Throughout the week, leaders in record numbers spoke up about the world tragedy that almost 10 million women and young children die each year from largely preventable causes. Leaders stood up and made commitments to new and re-newed action and funding to improve maternal, newborn and child health and help the world achieve MDGs 4 & 5- the two goals which strive to reduce child and maternal mortality.
In this special Spotlight section in our Events section, we have highlighted the UN Week from 22-26 September and its special sessions focusing on development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. In particular, we have documented the special references to maternal, newborn and child health during the week- during leaders' speeches and in documents and general sessions, and during the special session hosted by the presidents of Chile, Finland, Tanzania and Norway focused on making commitments to reduce maternal and child mortality- MDGs 4 & 5: "Commitment to Progress for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH)".
Below please find a description of daily events during the week of 22-26 September 2008, with accompanying highlights of documents and speeches with maternal, newborn and child commitments for future actions.
Spotlight: on MNCH at UN and Partner Meetings
- 22nd: UN High-level Meeting on Africa's Development Needs
- 22nd: UN Side-events to Africa's Development Needs
- 23rd: UN General Assembly - Opening
- 24th: Partner Side-event - Women leaders meet for maternal initiative
- 25th: UN High-level Event on the Health Millennium Development Goals
- 25th: Partner Side-event on MDGs 4 & 5 - "Commitment to Progress for MNCH"
- 25th: Partner Side-event - First Ladies' roundtable focuses on maternal health
- 25th: MNCH Excerpts of leaders' speeches at UN Events
- 25th: Norway launches report on its Global Campaign for the Health Millennium Development Goals
- 25th: UN-backed scheme aims to reduce maternal mortality through innovative financing for health systems