Forum of the United Nations Secretary-General, Mr BAN Ki-moon: Advancing Global Health in the Face of Crisis
15 JUNE 2009 | NEW YORK
Publisher/Organizer: United Nations
Date: 15 June 2009
Venue: United Nations Headquarters, New York
Related links and documents
UN Secretary-General's agenda: Advancing Global Health in the Face of Crisis
- UN Secretary-General BAN Ki-moon: Opening remarks: The tie that binds
- WHO's Director-General Dr Chan speech: Greater equity in health should be a priority
15 June 2009 Presentation from Chile
15 June 2009 Presentation from People's Republic of China
15 June 2009 Presentation from the European Union
- UN Webcast of the 15 June 2009: Health Forum + Launch of MDG Report
- UN website: SG's Health Forum 15 June 2009
- 2009 Report on the Global Campaign on Health MDGs: Leadind by example
A special United Nations Forum on health and convened by the UN Secretary-General BAN Ki-moon has brought together over 27 leaders and experts to discuss necessary steps to ensure the adequate progress to achieve the health Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The 2009 report of the Global campaign for the Health MDGs was also launched during the special session: Leading by Example–Protecting the Most Vulnerable During the Economic Crisis, focuses on the impact of the crisis on women and children, and what countries and partners are doing to protect them.
The event highlighted the centrality of health to the achievement of all MDGs and the economic and social development of countries, providing an overview of the impact of crises on communities. Speakers highlighted a need for:
- The development of a global fund for mothers and children within pre-existing mechanisms;
- Political leadership based on the recognition of the importance of health for the achievement economic development and of all MDGs;
- Country-led multilateral health partnerships and multisectoral approaches to tackle health issues at country level;
- Increased and more efficient use of resources allocated specifically to health;
- That donor countries in this time of crisis to sustain ODA and developing countries maintain health expenditure.
"We must be strategic, we must be accountable" said Mr Moon in his opening statement. Director General of the World Health Organization, Dr Margaret Chan gave the message that that equity in health is a priority. (See links to speeches on the right. ) Partnership board members, Joy Phumaphi and Tore Godal were among a list of guests which also included the heads of WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, WHO, UNAIDS GAVI, GFAMT and WHO- Goodwill Ambassador Liya Kebede among others.
Launch: 2009 Report of the Global campaign for the Health MDGs
During the Forum, the 2009 Report of the Global campaign for the Health MDGs - Leading by Example–Protecting the Most Vulnerable During the Economic Crisis - was also launched. The 2009 Report of the Campaign, first launched in 2007, brings the messages of world leaders on the importance of investing in maternal, newborn and child health in times of crisis. Country leaders and heads of multilateral agencies, NGOs as well as The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health have contributed to the report, which aims to bring partners together to protect health investments during the current crisis.